[ilds] london plaque

Carrie carrie.t at virgin.net
Sat Jan 24 09:30:12 PST 2009

Hello Mr Hedges

I was briefly a contributer to this forum, probably early last year.
Larry and my stepfather, Alan Thomas, were contemporaries and close
friends for the better part of their lives, Alan died in August 1992.
And although I didn't get to know Larry until the mid 1960's I was
regaled with stories from the early years, and given a box of relevant
photos which adds another dimension to the stories.

To my knowledge there is no Blue plaque in London for Larry.  The only
place I was aware of Larry staying when in London, in all the years I
knew him, was my parents house at 16 Hobury Street, one door off the
Kings Road at the World's End in Chelsea.  He used their house as a
base to which he was always welcomed.  Mother gave splendid and very
delicious dinner parties for Larry and friends (more often then not
the guests would be mutual friends of both Larry's and Alan's).  Larry
didn't enjoy staying in hotels like his brother Gerry.  When in London
Gerry almost always stayed in an Hotel, I've just forgotten the name
of his favourite, off of Sloane St in Knightsbridge.  I remember now,
it was the Cadogon.  When Gerry would ring Mother and Alan to say he
would be in London, Mother & Alan would invite him for dinner, to
which Gerry would say "we will be eight", and that's if Mother was
lucky because it could be more!  Gerry always travelled with an
entourage.  When Larry would ring he would say, as a joke, "We will be
one", "Shall I bring the sausages?"

Anyway, if there had been a Blue plaque, and I feel certain Larry
wouldn't have wanted one, it would be at 16 Hobury Street.

I'm not comfortable discussing Larry and Margaret's relationship, and
I feel sure I shouldn't.  I see that Richard Pine has just shed some
light on the subject.

Carrie