[ilds] Bernard Spencer - CFP

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 07:43:24 PST 2009

The Poetry and Life of Bernard Spencer (1909-1963)
A Centenary Conference

Saturday 31 October-Sunday 1 November 2009

PRELIMINARY CALL FOR PAPERS

The Modern and Contemporary Research Centre in the Department of English
and American Literature at the University of Reading, with the
collaboration of the University Library and Special Collections, plans
to hold a two-day conference to celebrate the life and work of Bernard
Spencer, the famous-for-being-neglected British poet. Special
Collections have the largest archive of Spencer papers in the world,
including recent new acquisitions from the poet’s widow, Anne Humphreys,
and his pioneering editor, Roger Bowen. There will be a concurrent
exhibition of documents selected from the archive in Special Collections
housed at the Museum of English Rural Life, London Road, Reading, where
the conference events will take place.

Confirmed guest speakers include Professors Roderick Beaton, Roger
Bowen, Martin Dodsworth, and Adam Piette. The organizers invite papers
from scholars and admirers of Bernard Spencer’s work. Contributions on
Spencer’s relations with other poets, writers, and editors during the
three decades of his creative life (such as Geoffrey Grigson, Lawrence
Durrell, Keith Douglas, Laurie Lee, Ruth Speirs, Tambimuttu, John
Lehmann, and Alan Ross) would also be welcomed. We intend to hold panel
discussions with twenty-minute papers, and readings from the works. If
you would like to attend the conference in any capacity we would like to
hear from you as soon as possible. If you can offer a paper, please
include a 250 word abstract of your subject; if you are a poet or writer
and would like to read from Spencer’s works, please give us an idea of
your interest and the poems or translations you would present; if you
simply wish to attend the celebrations, we would very much like to hear
from you too.

Expressions of interest should be e-mailed to:
p.robinson at reading.ac.uk