[ilds] Douglas & Durrell

Ian Sales ian at ephemeris.plus.com
Mon Dec 29 10:00:06 PST 2008

Ian Sales wrote:
> - I have a copy of that. From what I remember, Durrell's contribution
> is a single prose piece. When I get home this evening, I'll dig out
> the book and provide more information.

- and here is the promised further info...

MIDDLE EAST ANTHOLOGY OF PROSE AND VERSE, edited by John Waller and Erik
de Mauny. Lindsay Drummond Ltd. 1946.

Durrell contributes three pieces:  'A Landmark Gone', a short essay
about the fisherman's house in which he lived on Corfu; and two poems -
'Alexandria' and 'Conon in Alexandria'. The contributors section
describes him thus: "Lived in Greece befroe the war and was well known
as Editor of "Delta". Worked for British Embassy to Egypt in Alexandria.
Now in Rhodes. Faber published his "A Private Country" in 1943 and later
"Prospero's Cell" and his "Cities, Plains and People"."

The anthology also contains work by GS Fraser, Olivia Manning, Keith
Douglas Herbert Howarth, John Gawsworth, Darrell Wilkinson, and personal
favourites John Jarmain and Bernard Spencer.

- ian