[ilds] ILDS Digest, Vol 21, Issue 16

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 01:17:57 PST 2008

Durrell also had significant ties to Elizabeth David, so the circle
draws closer...  Artemis Cooper, whose name is familiar to anyone
looking at Durrell's Egypt years, wrote the biography on David as well
(a rather entertaining biography, actually).

My only caution would be that had Durrell not actually known Douglas, I
should think the temptation would have been too great for him to avoid
inventing some beguiling story -- they were both stranded overnight in a
chaste brothel in Tangiers, or maybe he mistook him for a film star
while sharing drinks over a silent bar in Calabria...  The same happened
with LD spotting Einstein in Italy in 1935, though it's not actually
possible.

Best,
James

ps: frigid and snowed-in up here in Canada...  We even had a lovely bout
in the lower end of the -30s last week.  I finally feel like it's winter
during the Holidays!  I've already gone back to flip through those
lovely scenes of 'god Jul' in /Monsieur/.