[ilds] rupert murdoch, durrellian character

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Thu Dec 18 05:35:56 PST 2008

I spotted this piece in The Telegraph.  Mr. Shakespeare opens with a
most curious comparison, and then he even helps us to recover
biographical detail from those gray and "lost" years in Yugoslavia.

Charles

****

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/3831852/The-Man-Who-Owns-the-News-Inside-the-Secret-World-of-Rupert-Murdoch-by-Michael-Wolff---review.html

> *The Man Who Owns the News: Inside the Secret World of Rupert Murdoch
> by Michael Wolff - review
> Rupert Murdoch is an enigmatic man, but his motivation is really
> rather simple, argues Nicholas Shakespeare
>

> By Nicholas Shakespeare (www.telegraph.co.uk)
> Last Updated: 11:45AM GMT 18 Dec 2008*
>
> An Australian friend (not interviewed for this book) rowed in the same
> Oxford college eight as Rupert Murdoch. He recalls his expensive room,
> the provocative bust of Lenin ("He once took me to a meeting of the
> Communist Club of Oxford to hear the Russian ambassador"), and a drive
> through Yugoslavia with Murdoch and his father Sir Keith, culminating
> in a lunch with Lawrence Durrell.
>
> It's a shame that the founder/chairman of News Corps is apparently
> "almost not interested at all" in reading books, because the figure
> who glides in and out of view in his latest biography is very
> Durrellian: a thrice-married Walter Matthau lookalike in a signature
> singlet, with a Chinese wife 38 years his junior and grey hair that he
> has taken to dyeing orange. In the words of his oldest daughter, Prue:
> "He insists on doing it over the sink because he doesn't want anybody
> to know. Well, hello!"
>
> Astonishingly, among the few people not to have heard of Keith Rupert
> Murdoch (b 1931) were the parents of Wendi Deng: she alerted them to
> the identity of her husband only after their wedding ceremony. "They
> don't know who he was. I showed them a newspaper."
>
> There is no better way to explain his essence, since, as Michael Wolff
> sees it, Murdoch uses his newspapers to express himself; in fact, he
> cannot "see a paper as separate from himself".
>
> Deng, an ambitious woman who "eschews self-editing", puts his
> motivating urge in these terms: "He want to know everything. He asks
> so many things like, 'Why you no read newspapers?'" It is around
> Murdoch's dramatic purchase, in 2007, of the Wall Street Journal --
> which belonged to a long-established family, the Bancrofts, to whom
> Murdoch is "the master of evil incarnate" -- that Wolff hangs his
> supple, gripping narrative.
>
> Murdoch was the only uncorrupt media baron of the three to employ this
> reviewer -- the others were Conrad Black and Robert Maxwell -- but the
> most all-pervasive, if only by dint of his uncommon power and
> influence. In a priceless scene, he is sailing with two of his
> executives when he takes a sensitive call and cups the phone: "Would
> you mind?" -- whereupon both men jump into the water and swim around
> until the conversation is over.
>
> In person, he has the unobtrusiveness of the best photographers. Wolff
> paints him as courteous, puckish, shrewd; a lover of gossip and a good
> listener, if a mumbling conversationalist. He is not pretentious or
> grandiose (you can't see him dressing up as Cardinal Richelieu, as
> Conrad Black did). Nor is he prone to introspection: "It's painful for
> him to speak personally."

> [...]

Assistant Professor
Department of English
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga