[ilds] DURRELL AND DOUGLAS

Denise Tart & David Green dtart at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 5 12:49:58 PST 2008

William,

good to hear from Texas. I find it hard to believe that Durrell could describe Douglas as he does in Spirit of Place and refer to his fluency in Italian and not actually have met him and exchanged words, especially as he clearly admired Douglas and they had a few things in common.

It may be that in the interview Charles posted that Durrell prefered to say he had not met Douglas or forgot he had met him or the interview was before he met him?

Anyway, I will be reading Douglas's autobiography over the Summer Holidays and will see if Douglas refers to a meeting with Larry.

David Green
16 William Street
Marrickville NSW  2204
AUSTRALIA