[ilds] Thanks Charles

William Apt billyapt at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 11:48:26 PST 2008

David:

According to one of Durrell's letters in SPIRIT OF PLACE (1969), Durrell did in fact meet Douglas while visiting the island of Ischia in the early 1950s, while on holiday from his post in Belgrade.  Durrell describes Douglas as ruddy, deeply lined, of a quiet nature, and fluent in Italian.

WILLIAM APT
Austin, Texas

From: dtart at bigpond.net.auTo: ilds at lists.uvic.caDate: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 06:15:16 +1100Subject: [ilds] Thanks Charles

Charles,

Thank you for the heads up on Douglas and Durrell. That interview tells a lot and has answered several questions. Although Durrell clearly knew of Douglas and admired his style, they did not apparently ever meet, which is odd as Durrell certainly hung out for while with a group that included Elizabeth David and Douglas was quite close to her.

I like the way he gives Miller a plug. I cannot quite put Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky and Henry Miller into the same grouping.

Cheers

David.

Denise TartCivil Celebrant - A880716 William StreetMarrickville NSW  2204+61 2 9564 61650412 707 625dtart at bigpond.net.au