[ilds] Durrell's Style(s)

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 13:46:05 PST 2008

Bill, perhaps you have something else in mind re "stylistic analysis,"
but my idea of such pictures compilations and read-outs of word-counts
and metaphorical usage.  And what would such a stylistic analysis
accomplish?  Frequency counts of Durrell's idiosyncratic vocabulary?
Don't we already know this, if only intuitively?  Are the exact number
of occurrences of "usufruct" and "uxorious" helpful?  Seems to me what
is really needed is what Charles calls the "why" of Durrell's
stylistic choices, that is, as Charles says, "I will leave the
pondering of 'why?' to others.  I do not have any pet theories about
what Durrell was hiding or from what he was hiding."  Excuse my bad
language, but I'll throw out a bit of jargon, what the
Transformational Linguists call "deep structure," as opposed to
"surface structure."  I'm arguing for a theory and analysis of the
former, re M. Durrell.

Bruce