[ilds] Durrell's Style(s)

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 29 14:16:59 PST 2008

I strongly disagree with Charles Sligh's take, which is the prevalent
one in some quarters these days, on the variety of Durrell's styles
and voices — an approach which has resulted in mistaken identity.  I
don't see Durrell as really having multiple voices (to say nothing of
personalities!) that subvert any attempt to categorize him as this or
that.  Now, Durrell probably wanted to achieve that effect,
undoubtedly so, i.e., to appear as, and perhaps to be, a sardonic,
irony-loving Pursewarden, laughing at everyone from Olympian heights.
But, in my opinion, that is not echt Durrell.  Echt Durrell is the
Durrell of his poetic beginnings, those openings to the four novels of
the Quartet.  That is Darley's voice, and in part Mountolive's, and
that is the voice people remember and either love or hate.  That is
the voice old LD felt he had to disguise in order to survive in a
modernist world of irony and ambiguity.

All too reductive, far too reductive, I can hear Charles saying.

Bruce