[ilds] Digested Classics: Justine

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 12:32:32 PST 2008

Hi Charles,

I'd agree, though I did find this satire entertaining.  My real 'beef'
with it, where I think if falls short, isn't its lack of a nuanced sense
of the heteroglossia of the original text (I can live with that), but
rather the fact that the satire of Darley's overwrought style actually
creates a few stylistically lovely moments in the satire itself...  If
yer gonna mock the style, the mockery had better not sing!

Still, I think it's a better attempt than Bradbury's of yesteryear, and
it seems to be a good-natured spoof rather than nasty envy.

Best,
James