[ilds] Digested Classics: Justine

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 09:47:49 PST 2008

I'm fairly sure that "engorge-moi" is in the original /Justine/, ain't
it?  Unlike Malcolm Bradbury's /Volumptia/, I think this satire is done
in good faith -- the reason I think this satire fails, though, isn't
because it fails to be funny but because some of the satire is actually
quite lovely.

Does anyone else think this exceeds Bradbury's attempt at satire?
Eagleton tried to do it for the opening of one of his talks at the
Durrell School, but alas his satire of Durrell sounded nothing like
Durrell, so it didn't go over too well...

Best,
James