[ilds] new article

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 13 13:08:50 PDT 2008

James,

Thanks for the plug.

Erratum.  The Ottomans did not build Fort Qaytbey, as I wrote, rather
the Mamelukes did.  My error.

Suggestion.  Peter Porter calls "Loeb's Horace" Durrell's finest poem,
and I go along with that.  My reading of the poem, however, differs
radically with Peter Porter's, as well as with James Gifford's.
Gifford and I have previously stated our positions on the ILDS list,
so there's no need to rehash all that.  I also note that Michael Haag
has his own distinctive interpretation of the poem, which Michael, if
so inclined, can deliver on his own.  So, four people with four
different views on a great artifact.  I suggest these be formalized in
some way, possibly in an issue of Deus Loci.  I do not think the ILDS
List a suitable forum, and Arion does not engage in such exchanges.

Bruce