[ilds] new article

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 09:33:39 PDT 2008

Hello all,

Our own Bruce Redwine has been too modest to mention his recent article
in /Arion/, which I stumbled across this morning.  Some may recall the
rather strong debate we had about its subject, "On First Looking in
Loeb's Horace," and perhaps this will prompt others to offer their
thoughts or comments.

To get the ball rolling, I'll reiterate that I still disagree with
Bruce's reading, based on my own interpretation of the original ts. for
the poem.  Perhaps someone else will have more thoughts or comments to
contribute, (dis)agreeing with one or both of us -- either way, it's an
enjoyable read and comes with some very striking photographs.

The link to the .pdf copy of the article is broken on the HTML page with
the article, but the one here works:

http://www.bu.edu/arion/

You can access the article itself in HTML here:

http://www.bu.edu/arion/redwine.htm

Happy Thanksgiving to those North of the 49th Parallel!

Cheers,
James

ps: I'll add too that Bruce is quite astute in spotting allusions to
Keats' "To Autumn," which also dominates an entire chapter in /Panic
Spring/.