[ilds] durrell and the duck shoot

csligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Mon Sep 22 11:46:25 PDT 2008

But here is /this/ reader's problem.

My enjoyment in the duck shoot is without heightened by the sense of
things between Darley/Justine/Nessim coming to crisis.  That invitation
card up on the mantle--what is Nessim doing for the reader's sense of
the plot if not handing Darley a loaded weapon and asking Darley, one
gentleman to the next, if he would not like to help pass the time that
they have left between them and play a little Russian Roulette?

Too much tension.  Apparent nymphomania.  Broken faith.  Jealousy.
Madness.  Boatloads of firearms.   No, this is not a murder-ballad, but
it is that curious ending-before-the ending of /Justine/.

But really, after all of these years, I do not think my continued
delight springs from reading for the plot.  Rather, I think that whole
incident on the lake holds up every reading because of Durrell's
sure-handling of the natural description and the ritualized mood of the
hunt.  What we wouldn't give to see those fabled earlier drafts of this
scene!  How marvelous to have this one hunting scene arriving at such
high-polish and caliber.

Are you suggesting that Durrell is sending up or parodying other hunting
scenes in fiction, Jamie?  I have always been impressed by the way that
Durrell used the American Miller as a blocking or swerving figure,
bypassing Hemingway and Faulkner and what once upon a time would have
been called the mainline of American letters.

Guns. . . .  Leslie Durrell is perhaps the darkling or dark-winged
influence here.

CLS