[ilds] Dark globes

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 14:52:31 PDT 2008

Hello Mark,

What an illuminating (ahem) notion.  I like it, and the timing is quite
good as well, since there is much Gnostic material in /Justine/, which
is a close contemporary.

I wonder though, how would this image reframe the potential
interpretations of "torture" and "vehemence," etc.?  Are we serving the
demiurge by engaging in such passions, or are we becoming the demiurge
in art when we (really, he) put them on paper.  I'm thinking of the
ending of Durrell's "Oil for the Saint," in which he makes the
artist/demiurge connection explicit, again during a nighttime scene near
water.

I suppose we'd have to ask why the moon is there too, yet the stars are
not.  Do you prefer to read the globes as spheres, their darkness
blotting out the higher archons and such?  I could see such a reading
becoming expansive...

Thanks for this.

Best,
James