[ilds] [Fwd: QUESTION]

William Apt billyapt at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 09:52:52 PDT 2008

Thank you Ms. Francis.  I had not received yr note till now.  I got yr name from the Society website, regarding yr conference on literary movement cities.  I contacted you because I was not sure my initial inquiry to James went through.  Hope it wasn't a bother.

TE Lawrence spent his recluse years in Dorset, at his cottage, Clouds Hill, the front door lintel of which is inscribed in Greek with the words "I DON'T CARE".  He is buried, I believe, in Moreham.  His effigy, sculpted by Eric Kennington, is in an 11th century Saxon church in Wareham, nearby.

Insofar as literary movement cities, and as you are probably aware, Mexico City (where Katherine Ann Porter, Edward Weston, Tina Modotti, and the great Mexican muralists all lived at the same time); Taos (where Mabel Dodge Luhan, DH Lawrence, and Frieda Lawrence lived and where Mabel Dodge hosted the great mid-century American writers, artists, and photographers); Santa Fe (where Witter Bynner, Spud Johnson, Mary Austin lived, with a flux of great mid-century writers, artists and photographers); and Carmel, Calif. (where Robinson Jeffers, Edward Weston, John Kenneth Turner, and the early 20th century San Francisco lived), are not as well know as the scenes in Paris, New York, Berlin or London.

WILLIAM APT
Austin, Texas

From: albigensian at hotmail.comTo: ilds at lists.uvic.caDate: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:11:48 -0500Subject: Re: [ilds] [Fwd: QUESTION]

I don't know how or why Mr. Apt had my address, but I answered his question--Larry and Claude lived near Donhead St. Andrew in Dorset in 1956-7. I had no idea that was T.E. Lawrence country though, so next time I'm across the pond, I'm headed to Dorset. Hope all are well--though we live in N. Louisiana, we got hit hard by Gustav--I tried to check in with Don K, but haven't heard back from him. This storm pounded the whole state--we were w/o power for 28 hours, but some folks in Alexandria (Louisiana, not Egypt!) are still without electricity! And now Ike is on its way...but maybe it's heading farther west this time--sorry, Texas, but we've had enough!Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 19:24:05 -0700From: odos.fanourios at gmail.comTo: ilds at lists.uvic.caSubject: [ilds] [Fwd: QUESTION]Hello all, I'm forwarding this question, which I assume someone here can answer quite quickly -- alas, by copies of the books are out reach at the moment... Best,James ----------------Forwarded Message Attachment--From: billyapt at hotmail.comTo: ilds-owner at lists.uvic.caSubject: QUESTIONDate: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 13:10:54 -0500

I am getting ready to visit my girlfriend's family, who live in Hampshire Co., England.  We will be visiting Dorset to see TE Lawrence's cottage and gravesite.  Can you tell me where Durrell lived in Dorset when we was writing BITTER LEMONS? Thanks. WILLIAM APTAustin, Texas > Subject: Mailman privacy alert> From: ilds-bounces at lists.uvic.ca> To: billyapt at hotmail.com> Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:52:01 -0700> > An attempt was made to subscribe your address to the mailing list> ilds at lists.uvic.ca. You are already subscribed to this mailing list.> > Note that the list membership is not public, so it is possible that a bad> person was trying to probe the list for its membership. This would be a> privacy violation if we let them do this, but we didn't.> > If you submitted the subscription request and forgot that you were already> subscribed to the list, then you can ignore this message. If you suspect that> an attempt is being made to covertly discover whether you are a member of this> list, and you are worried about your privacy, then feel free to send a message> to the list administrator at ilds-owner at lists.uvic.ca.