[ilds] who's Ophelia?

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sun Sep 7 15:56:54 PDT 2008

I suppose Eve is Ophelia. I leave the details to you -- lest I step
on more feet. All men are my brothers, of course. But we Parthians
just can't resist.

I was listening the other night to the abridged audio Justine, and
following along in the Cardinal Edition which lies quietly on my
kitchen table -- and I note that the audio added a "Justine" where
the Cardinal had none. (Some abridgement.) After a gin and tonic or
two, I did not have the motivation to check in all the editions I
have, but it seemed to me that the "Justine" was added incorrectly.
Our narrator was talking about Melissa. So I thought.

And, young Chuck, I have not received any of the Folio copies. I did
indeed order one copy, and I may (after three gin and tonics, or is
it three gins and tonics?) have ordered three more.

Let's hear it for the Hinman collator!!! Hurrah! Now we can look at
these supposedly identical printings and see the (can I say?)
variants. Between or among the early printings of Shakespeare's
Troilus and Cressida, there are as many as 2500 variants, though some
scholars only acknowledge 400 or so. How many would you acknowledge
in, say, Justine?

In Shakespeare, the variants are sometimes/often seen as signs of
revision -- not poor typesettimg. Ahum.

And finally, briefly, what's the difference between "variant" as I
use it, and "variant" as Charlie does?

Bill

W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *