[ilds] the variants in the work of Justine?

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 08:51:18 PDT 2008

Bill,

Does anyone yet know the origins of the Folio edition?  Which version of
/Justine/ did they use?  The insertion of photographic materials
suggests they may have done their own, but that seems unlikely for the
cheaper end of their production -- my hunch is that they used whatever
set of plates was most readily available, which would likely be the
recent Faber paperback of /Justine/ as she appeared in the omnibus
edition of the /Quartet/.

Alas, that would mean your ambiguities were foreclosed...

Personally, I'm hoping for yet another variant.  I realized in class on
Thursday that my course anthology had made some judicious changes to
Joyce's "Araby" to make his word choice easier for students -- I
corrected it back to greater complexity, despite the roars of protest.
I wonder if something akin may have happened with the Folio Durrell?

Oh, and for anyone interested, I'm sure Old D would have been glad to
see himself in Folio.  It's money in the bank, and much like Porter, he
wrote an Introduction to the Folio edition of D.H. Lawrence's /Etruscan
Places/ back in 1972.

Best,
James

ps: as for your shot arrow, are we to believe Richard's your brother?
You do get around...  But more seriously, who's Ophelia?