[ilds] what Lawrence Durrell achieved in his classic The Alexandria Quartet

csligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Fri Sep 5 17:34:48 PDT 2008

I am pleased to read the following piece on Theroux discussing Durrell.
A number of years ago, I created a reading list that included Durrell,
Chatwin, Theroux, Bowles, Hunter Thompson, &c. With all apologies to
Douglas, Byron, Fermor, &c., for my purposes, Durrell seemed a natural
fount for the tradition.

Perhaps we are witnessing a sort of quickening of things Durrellian.
Perhaps we are nearing something unexpected. Hold on for more.

 From Chattanooga, under the White Oaks at Nye Farm, with libations to
all the Old Ones and Old Friends still able to read.

/Kali nichta/, and full cups for-ever and for-all.

C&c.--

***

 From The Times

September 5, 2008
Interview with Paul Theroux, author of Ghost Train to the Easter Star:
On the Tracks of The Great Railway Bazaar

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article4681965.ece