[ilds] Fw: Re: The Folio Justine

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 12:57:23 PDT 2008

Hello Lois,

The list always welcomes participation, regardless of background.  I
must admit though, we've only had comments from you in which you accuse
people of being "snide," "perverse," "mean-spirited," or "silly."  While
spirited discussions are welcome as well, you've not added actual
content to these remarks that gives people something to discuss further
-- why not give an example of what you mean, a reference to a point in a
text, a poem, a letter, or so forth, so that there's a basis for further
discussion.  Mutually tossing adjectives or names about just leads to
short conversations.

In other words, intellectual stimulation is welcome, and I hope the list
can offer that to you.  I'd also encourage you to contribute to that
activity, otherwise it's not likely anyone will respond.  As Richard's
last posting indicates, at least he's making contributions by writing
books -- he and Haag disagree with each other, sometimes very strongly
indeed, but they've also made the point of travelling to meet each
other, they read and quote each other, and generally disagree in ways
that contribute to each other's work.  I like to think that I disagree
with (and am disagreeable to) others in a similar way, such that they
can use and benefit from how they differ from me.

In that spirit, perhaps you could tell us more about how you read
Porter's article in the /TLS/ from your perspective?  Is that the kind
of view of Durrell that made you keen to join this list, or has Porter
suggested an interpretation with which you disagree or that compels you
to see things differently?

Cheers,
James