[ilds] The Folio Justine

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:02:33 PDT 2008

Hello Suni,

It's nice to see a new name on the list!  Welcome aboard.

I'll wait for Richard to post his letter, but having seen it, I can at
least comment that Richard's was a more concise comment on the
recto-verso tension between Porter's piece and Karl Orend's review (ie:
the error about /The Black Book/ being Durrell's first work).  He also
notes a common error about the Dodecanese.  Pine took greater pains to
point to Porter's fine and sensitive reading as well as the quality of
the Folio printing, or in essence, he praised the book and its worth to
potential buyers while corrected a point of fact.

While I also enjoyed reading Haag's response, it's longer, tends to
focus more on his own view of the Quartet (though his is, admittedly, a
fascinating perspective), and does not aim to praise the new Folio
edition in quite the same way.  In other words, Haag's comments may not
encourage readers to pick up the book.

I'd also disagree with Michael about Durrell's first two novels, mainly
for what I suspect is the nature of Richard's disagreement: that "pick
up the book" encouragement.  He feels interest in Durrell's first two
novels (both just now reprinted after 70 years) "is confined to those
wanting to trace Durrell's first footsteps."  This does not particularly
encourage readers to pick up a copy.  For me, having taught /Pied Piper
of Lovers/ a few times and now having edited both of those early novels,
I am quite sure they have a broader appeal and would likely be easier
for a casual reader to engage with.  I am, however, biased in that matter...

I look forward to seeing more of your comments.

My best,
James