[ilds] The Folio Justine

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 14:05:53 PDT 2008

Count me in Bill!  Knowing the Folio Society, it will be a lovely
edition, and it's one I've been hoping they'd do for years.  I wonder if
they've retained those marvellous hands from the first Faber editions.
I wonder too about what text they've used, since Folio typically used
pre-existing plates rather than setting their own editions.  I got the
Proust set last year as my annual gift for renewing my membership, and
it's quite attractive -- they brought out /My Family and Other Animals/
a year or two ago as well.

As for Porter, I still like the introduction, and slips of those kinds
are the hardest to get at since they're in print everywhere!  I think he
can hardly be faulted for relying on what's already on paper...  Much
like his introduction to the recent Faber edition of LD's poetry, he's a
keen reader with a quick intuition of the /Quartet's/ shape and form.
He also seems particularly good at stirring up interest and worthwhile
projects.

Best,
James