[ilds] letters to TLS

Charles Sligh Charles-Sligh at utc.edu
Sat Aug 30 07:14:06 PDT 2008

James, Brewster, Bill, & co.:

Writing Folio will indeed serve little gain.  Folio is set to release this edition of the Quartet, and they are unlikely to correct anytime soon.

I would say that it would be much more helpful for Brewster and Bill and James to send friendly letters of correction to the TLS.  After all, the "Dear Sir" letter to the TLS will gain much readership than a letter or an email dropped into the Folio offices.  And if these errors about biography and chronology are oft-repeated and in urgent need of correction, using the TLS--a sort of journal of record for things literary--will help to set out the truth in a much more public forum, while showing that Durrell does indeed have a readership and a scholarly following.

That said, I imagine the letters as in every way "friendly."  It is a coup for the Folio Society and the TLS to give extended investment and attention to Lawrence Durrell.   With the (all-too-brief) appearance of the recent Faber edition of LD's poetry, and with this latest introduction and TLS essay, Porter has been a good advocate for neglected works.

I will be looking forward to the TLS review of Michael's forthcoming biography of Durrell.

Best wishes from Tennessee--

Charles

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Charles-Sligh at utc.edu