[ilds] QUESTION

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 11:39:18 PDT 2008

Hi Phillip,

It's the OOMAHARUMOOMA passage, which is a paragraph from Joyce’s
/Finnegans Wake/ (Miller, /Tropic/ 97; Joyce, /Finnegans/ 180).  Miller
repeats the OOMAHARUMOOM later in the novel immediately followed by the
dictum “Everything has to have a name” (259).  I think it's pretty
clearly a gesture to Joyce, but I must admit I've not riddled out how it
works or might work...  I'd say he'd ridiculing /Finnegans Wake/ since
it's Nanatee trying to get Miller to say nonsense words, but I don't
think it's entirely that simple either.  Partly, I'd read it as also
showing how Miller through Joyce could be worked into a different
aesthetic direction while retaining his verbal ingenuity.

Here are the volumes I used -- oh, and this isn't just my observation
either.  It crops up in the criticism, but no one has ever really said
much about it.

Joyce, James. /Finnegans Wake/. New York: Penguin, 1999.

Miller, Henry. /Tropic Of Cancer/. Toronto: Signet Classic-Penguin Books
Canada, 1995.

Best,
James