[ilds] QUESTION

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 08:34:14 PDT 2008

Hello William,

I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but I can throw a few other
things into the pot -- perhaps others can say more.

Durrell did lecture on Joyce during his trip to California, and "anna
livia plurabelle" was a part of that lecture.  Moreover, for /Finnegans
Wake/, Miller was very nasty about Joyce in his book on Lawrence
(published in 1980, I believe, but written during his years in Paris),
yet there's an entire paragraph of /Finnegans Wake/ in Miller's /Tropic
of Cancer/, lifted verbatim.  It's a particularly odd passage, so it's
impossible Miller did it accidentally, nor does it come across as a
'good' moment so it seems unlikely to have been taken because Miller
thought it a very fine passage -- it looks much more like a veiled
allusion, but I must admit I don't know how it functions.

Durrell, in contrast, liked Joyce more than Miller claims to have.  Note
that /Pied Piper of Lovers/ moves to a letter by the protagonist rather
than the bildungsroman 3rd person narrator (much like /Portrait of the
Artist as a Young Man/) and that /Clea/ ends with the same words
/Portrait/ opens with, "Once upon a time..."  There's more as well.
Durrell certainly read, admired, and alluded to Joyce regularly.

You might want to take a look at just the "Anna Livia Purabelle" moment
in /Wake/, and it is available separately since Joyce first published it
on its own.

Best,
James