[ilds] a comment on morale

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Tue Jul 29 10:39:00 PDT 2008

I think, I do not know, that Shakespeare scholars outdo the
Durrellians in sheer vituperative language. For example there is a
subset of Shakespeare ninnies who believe that the 17th Earl of
Oxford wrote all of Shakespeare's plays. This misguided group is not
well received by the scholars who know damned well who wrote
Shakespeare's works.

And yet, come next spring, when the Shakespeare Association of
America meets in DC, we will all be there --  Brits, Canadians, and
others -- continually arguing, trying to be heard by our adversaries,
who generally pay us no heed. But the final night, there will be a
dance, and we will all be there.

Nothin'  like a good quarrel to get people together.

Bill
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *