[ilds] Avignon

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 07:40:13 PDT 2008

Hello Ilyas,

What a grand posting.  That opening in /Monsieur/ was my first reading
in Durrell on a very snowy afternoon ten years ago -- it is a
descriptive passage that "sticks."  Perhaps someone in Nanterre would
like to comment on the paragraph that precedes it in the notebooks...

As for Shakespeare and Co., I commented very briefly in my posting for
OMG XV (More??), but I failed to mention picking up Yehudi Menuhin's
copy of /Le Grand Suppositoire/.  Durrell's a grand ghost in that shop,
though I must admit most of it was out of my range.

I'm curious though -- did you find any overlaps between James and
Durrell?  They must have made unusual travelling companions!

Best,
James