[ilds] posting

Marc Piel marcpiel at interdesign.fr
Tue Jul 29 06:07:47 PDT 2008

Hello,
What a strange debate, but also perhaps a strange
list!!!

I joined this list just over two years ago when
Anna Lillios was moderator. Soon after I asked her
if it would be possible to have a proposal
presented to the upcoming conference in Vancouver;
she said yes and I sent it to her in a format that
could be presented directly.

Let me explain again that I am not an academic
person, just a slightly intelectual layman who had
the pleasure of being introduced to the AQ in the
1960's. I've reread it at least five times and had
always had a deep desire to go to Alexandria.
Early 2006 my desire became a reality. It wasn't
easy to plan the trip as not even a street map of
Alex was available, so I drew my own.

My proposal was to write a little book entitled
"Walking in Alexandria with Lawrence Durrrell and
the AQ..." I also suggested a petition to attempt
to save the Ambron Villa that was then squatted
and falling to pieces. I had found and
photographed almost all the places in the AQ and
in LD's life there.

Then Anna was not able to go to the conference so
she passed on my correcpondance and her acceptance
to a Jamie Gifford. James replied that he had
nothing and I sent him dozens of eMails, but to
little avail... even though he had everything, no
presentation was ever made. My suggestion vanished
into thin air... that was the end of the road...
Thank you James.

It seemed obvious to me that I did not belong to
this "clique" (perhaps a more appropriate word
than "list"). The only persons I have had fair
exchanges with were Charles Sligh and David Green.
After all the bickering and wanking I had seen on
the posts (I once called this "intellectual poverty"
rather than property) I had no motivation to attend
the Paris meeting and nobody tried to look me up
(I live in Paris as everyone knows).

A strange debate indeed, but no doubt a strange
list also!!!

Why am I prompted to to say all this today???
C'est la vie je suppose!!! And I still have all
the material for my presentation if anyone is
interested. It is far richer than that offered by
the British Council for the celebration earlier
this year.

Salutations sincères,
Marc Piel