[ilds] Avignon

Ilyas ilyas.khan at crosby.com
Tue Jul 29 03:44:44 PDT 2008

I just got back from a few days in Avignon. Despite being hot (very very hot
!), crowded, and seemingly full of russians (not that there is anything
wrong with these fine people), this is a town that retains, at least for me,
the spirit of LD. The papal palace has been cleaned up since his time, and
the Rhone, at least as it passes through the town, was sparkling and clean.
It would take some great leaps of imagination to people these environs with
gypsy camps ! In addition to the inevitable heavy single volume quintet I
lugged around with me, I also took Henry James ³travels² with its evocative
(and not entirely complimentary ) description of the town in the late 19th
century.

All in all good travelling companions.  Its been quite a while since I read
Monsieur, but I have to say that there is a special significance in getting
lost in the book whilst taking an evening train down from Paris. Somehow it
all seems that much more relevant and that much more meaningful. Highly
recommended !

I also passed through Paris on the way back to London, and for those of you
who retain an interest in Shakespeare and Co, I can report that the bookshop
is as healthy and as vibrant as ever. LD figures quite prominently,
especially in the antiquarian side of the premises.