[ilds] T.S. Eliot & Internationalism CFP

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Mon May 12 21:56:58 PDT 2008

I thought some people here may be interested in this...

--------

PEER SEMINAR: ELIOT AND INTERNATIONALISM
The 29th Annual Meeting of the T. S. Eliot Society
St. Louis, September 26-28, 2008

The Eliot Society's annual seminar will be led by David Ayers (Univ. of
Kent) and Michael Coyle (Colgate Univ.), founding president of the MSA.

The idea of internationalism points to the process of overcoming
national boundaries, whether geographic, psychological, cultural or
simply linguistic. Eliot sensed that international connections, like
national traditions, can be achieved only by great labor. Nations are
not transparent to each other. We invite papers that consider how
thinking of Eliot in an international context opens up his work in new
ways. The topic is deliberately open, as we hope that papers will takes
us in unanticipated directions, but areas that would seem to be
immediately pertinent might include Eliot's response to European
politics in the interwar years, Eliot in translation, the nature of
Eliot's participation in American journals after establishing himself in
Britain, intertexuality and interculturality. We mean for this list to
be suggestive rather than prescriptive.

The seminar is open to the first 15 registrants; registration will close
July 1st. Participants will submit 4-5 page position papers by e-mail,
no later than September 1st. To sign up, or for answers to questions,
please email Jayme Stayer (jayme.stayer at gmail.com).

For further information, please see the Society's website
(http://www.luc.edu/eliot).

CALL FOR PAPERS
The 29th Annual Meeting of the T. S. Eliot Society
September 26-28, 2008

The Society invites proposals for papers to be presented at the annual
meeting in St. Louis. Clearly organized proposals of about 500 words, on
any topic reasonably related to Eliot, along with biographical sketches,
should be forwarded by June 15, 2008, to the President, William Harmon,
2330 Bedford St., Apt. 18, Durham, NC, 27707; or preferably by email to
wharmon03 at mindspring.com.