[ilds] Loeb Classical Library

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri May 9 11:37:53 PDT 2008

Which Loeb's Horace?  Mine is Horace:  Odes and Epodes, trans. C. E. Bennett (Cambridge and London, 1914-1968).

However, I'm glad you brought up that point, Bill.  All the Loeb editions I know are dual language texts, so on which margins are the marginalia?  On the Latin poetry or on the English prose?  Why would Durrell choose a dual language text over any number of English translations, Horace being the "epitome of poets" for the English, according to Peter Porter, as he delivered his talk in Alexandria, Egypt, Nov. 2007?  Durrell surely knew some Latin (how could he get through an English public school without studying it?).  I argue that you have the Loeb text with its Latin because Durrell wanted to make pointed reference(s) to Horace's language, and that was part of his debunking strategy.

Bruce