[ilds] Loeb Classical Library

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Fri May 9 11:05:09 PDT 2008

I have my copy of the Loeb Horace at hand. It was translated into
English by H. Rushton Fairclough for the Loeb Classical Library and
first printed in 1926 -- and oft reprinted (e.g. 1929, 1932, 1939,
1942, 1947 It is NOT a verse translation. It's definitely prose. And
it is to this translation that Durrell alludes. Irony? You bet.

But as I turned to Horace's "The Art of Poetry," I remembered that it
begins with a reference to "Painters and poets."
W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *
513-281-5927