[ilds] Durrells

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Thu May 8 11:28:46 PDT 2008

I think the size of Durrell's ego shows in his interviews and various pontifications, especially those dealing with the course of English literature.  He speaks like a prophet who's descended from his mountaintop.  The preface to Balthazar is pretentious (Bergson, Proust, Joyce, Einstein's "Space-Time" -- this is all too much, the reader being left to insert "Durrell" among these giants).  Pursewarden is often a blowhard, very funny, yes, but still another pontificator.  I would also cite a poem like "Loeb's Horace" (which Peter Porter, respected poet, calls Durrell's greatest poem), where Durrell/narrator takes on a great poet and faults (attempts to diminish?) him for sins he (Durrell) himself is guilty of.

I have no doubt that in person Durrell was absolutely charming and gracious.  It's when he puts on his mantel of poet-priest that he swells up like a "god of bullfrogs" (his own phrase in "Le circle referme").  Durrell was certainly aware of this and tried to check his egoism through self-mockery.  However, I suspect, like Hemingway, he was basically insecure and felt he had to take on the world of letters.

Bruce