[ilds] Durrells

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Thu May 8 10:17:08 PDT 2008

On 5/8/2008 12:42 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
> And at the end of his life, as Charles points out, he was very tired.  He never solved the problem and got all those selves to mesh.
That last phase really interests me now, Bruce, perhaps because of our
discussions here.  I have had strong, negative reactions to the /Quintet
/in the past.  I think that Shaw called the Dickens of /Edwin Drood/ "a
man already 3/4 dead," and I suspect that in the past I have been guilty
of that sort of prejudice toward the last novels.  But what if Durrell's
dying away gradually was a source of interest and a deeply human thing?

I think that I will go back to it with much more compassion this next time.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu