[ilds] Readings

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Tue May 6 06:55:54 PDT 2008

On 5/6/2008 9:41 AM, Bruce Redwine wrote:

> Another way to look at the problem is to ask, is Bloom with his pen the equivalent of Heifetz with his violin?  I don't know, but, sadly, I think not.
Oscar Wilde set the terms for us and for Harold Bloom, as Bloom himself
would acknowledge.  The strong critic takes up the text of a literary
work like an actor taking up a script.  Knowledge.  Attention.
Innovation.  Every work of art the starting point for another work of
art.  Cf. Wilde's "The Critic as Artist."

Bloom is a very knowing performer in the full sense of Wilde's terms.
Some years ago I once sat and watched Bloom read a chapter on Lear from
the at-the-time unpublished /Shakespeare /book.  Six pages into the
reading, Bloom turned the page of his script, looked down and grimaced
in that Dr. Johnson/Zero Mostel way he has, and then plucked up the
offending page, crumpled it into a small ball of paper, and tossed it
over his shoulder.

The critic as artist and editor, I suppose.

Bill has a fine story about the time when Bloom outfoxed Greenblatt.

Sing, Bill, you man of many turns.

Charles

--
Wake Forest University