[ilds] Readings

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Tue May 6 10:53:02 PDT 2008

James,

I don't think Harold Bloom will be remembered for his fiction, which I haven't read.  Lionel Trilling, another very great critic, also wrote a novel, but Trilling was also aware, as Alejandro Adams pointed last year, that he didn't have in him what Hemingway had in abundance, namely, the spark of creative genius.  I also don't think Edward Said's abilities as a musician came remotely close to abilities as a critic.  Criticism, performance, interpretation -- all these are one thing, probably related in some way, but they're quite different, astronomically different, from poets, writers, artists, and composers, who hold the much higher position and exist on another plane.  And, I think, the answer why that is so is simple.  The former depends on the latter.  Take away the latter and there's no former.  Is the reverse true?  No.  Bernard Berenson says somewhere that great art exists like Platonic forms.  I don't think I believe in Platonic forms, but I like the idea, and I don't think criticism qualifies as a Platonic form.

John Keats probably wrote some of the greatest letters in English, but much of that greatness depends on him explaining (naturally and unpretentiously) his own genius in writing poetry.  As with Keats, so with other writers who dabble in criticism.

Are emails creative?  No.  I quote Bill Godshalk, who, significantly, was quoting someone else, who was creative:  "Words, words, words."

Bruce