[ilds] Readings

Alejandro Adams hungerist at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 20:26:29 PDT 2008

>Musicians are considered artists but art critics are not.  I think this
>disparity >has led literary critics to invent Deconstruction and even the
>score.

Mencken held that the impulse to make art was essentially a critical
one--or, rather, that the artistic impulse and critical impulse were the
same.  His argument is convincing.  Various shades of caveat
notwithstanding, I sense a lot of truth in that unpopular notion.

And Harold Bloom: "Criticism is either part of literature or nothing at
all."  Indeed.

Hard to explain Auden's letter to the editors of The Nation which praised
Agee's film criticism.  Auden disliked journalism and disliked cinema, yet
he eagerly awaited each of Agee's reviews.

Clearly there are cases in which "criticism," "journalism," "literature,"
etc., coalesce, and we are left with prose which moves or stimulates or
merely pleases us.  Gide's "diaries"?  Flaubert's "letters"?  Ford Madox
Ford's "travelogues"?  Ideally, form is not the soil in which writing is
planted, but the trellis over which prose shapes itself until the frame is
no longer discernible.