[ilds] Author v. Reader

Alejandro Adams hungerist at hotmail.com
Sun May 4 21:36:20 PDT 2008

Ilyas,

I intended to express that I felt INSULTED on behalf of certain lovers of
Durrell whom I have known and who would never subscribe to a list such as
this one because they don't feel "qualified" to express themselves on the
subject.  But to suggest that I'm SPEAKING on their behalf, or on yours?
That would be rather presumptuous.

I often feel that Bruce is speaking on my behalf (unwittingly of course, as
we haven't yet formed the Quaint Layman's Brigade), which is a placating
sensation.  He is quicker and sharper and better-informed than I and manages
to put his ideas into palatable form.  Thus, I hardly ever feel the urge to
speak up.  But sometimes the pelting condescension thoroughly erodes my
respect for decorum at all costs.  If this list is intended to function as
an exclusive clique, why not screen credentials?

Clearly anyone on this list could wipe the floor with me, but it seems vital
that we brook dissent, no matter how impuissant the voice or unplain the
English.

Alejandro