[ilds] Author v. Reader

Alejandro Adams hungerist at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 21:32:01 PDT 2008

Every contribution to this list is a brick in the altar to one of the gods
of world literature (and merely to subscribe to this list is to meditate
before that altar).  To place one of these bricks while insisting that one
is not, in fact, a worshipper seems a quibbling, untenable rejection of the
primal urge to worship--or, more neutrally, to follow a leader--or, more
neutrally still, to recognize and honor a standard, to say one thing is
better than the rest.

We fear the unspoken accusations of elitism because they are accurate.
There is no way to proletarianize Durrell, I fear.  When they come for the
decadent elite, we will be the first to face the wall.

As a Mr. Godshalk attempts to suffocate our deity, a Mr. Redwine rushes to
revive him.  Given the playfully tenuous relationship of the academy to
reality, metaphorical murder--death by interpretation--should qualify as a
graver, more heinous act than the taking of an actual human life ("human"
and "life" are precisely the sort of terms which stimulate our
deconstructionlust!).  Thus this happy practice of god-killing baffles me
more than do all the other badges of dubious honor which gleam in the dim
hallways of our universities.

However...I am unable to deduce the of the nuances of Mr. Godshalk's
reasoning from his terse, smug, pungently elitist assertions.  He does not
deign to reveal the the scaffolding and wet paint which surely are required,
in his profession, between such formidable lines.  We may forego footnotes
in such a refreshingly casual forum, but let's not forego ideas altogether.

Duly insulted on behalf of the casual reader,
Alejandro Adams