[ilds] words written and read and shared

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Sat May 3 16:46:27 PDT 2008

On 5/3/2008 7:05 PM, Bruce Redwine wrote:
> Sorry, Bill, but I'm just dense.  I don't understand what you're saying or the point you're trying to make, which you don't elaborate on.  I will, however, make a wild guess loosely based on Saussure's formulation.
I will not speak for Bill.  But I have no need of any other source
beyond Lawrence Durrell and his Pursewarden for noting the severe
skepticism about language and meaning that run through the /Quartet/.
Cf. especially the posthumous reports on Pursewarden in /Balthazar
/regarding Pursewarden's letting the read "sink or skim" or throwing the
reader back upon his resources.

Why trot out Guy Fawkeses or bug-bears or Aunt Sally's like Saussure or
Barthes &c.?  No need to throw sand, I think.  Surely Durrell's works
provide ample evidence for us all to weigh and to consider
and--yes--about which to disagree.

While at the library the other night I thought again of what you said
about the poet Lawrence Durrell and the poet John Keats, Bruce, and I
thank you for drawing my thoughts toward those two. In his essay in /The
Windmill /from the 1940s Durrell writes the following:

> "Each great man builds a cocoon out his work which finally swallows
> not only his life but also his death.  Could Homer be anything but
> delighted to see Schliemann dig up his Iliad bodily out of the
> ground?  I have hunted through every museum in Greece looking for
> Keats' Grecian Urn."
By the way, in this same essay, Durrell--or whichever persona utters
these gnomic "Significant Data"-like fragments--recalls another persona
("V.") as saying "All poetry partakes of the epitaph."  Mighty food for
thought in that line.

Does anyone know if "V." refers to a particular or to an imagined someone?

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu