[ilds] words written and read and shared

william godshalk godshawl at email.uc.edu
Sat May 3 10:15:30 PDT 2008

Actually, Bruce, you are reading the words contained in the OED.
These words do not belong to any particular reader or writer.

Durrell took these words and put them in to form.

But he's dead.

And all you have is words, words, words.

If you admire the form of the words, good.

But a dead author is a dead author -- whether you like to read her or
him, or not.

You can't share a beer with Larry and ask him what he thinks. And
listen to him lie.

At 01:05 PM 5/3/2008, you wrote:
>Bill,
>
>I'm reading the words of authors.  I'm not reading readers who read words.
>

>Bruce

W. L. Godshalk		*
Department of English         *
Cincinnati OH 45221-0069      *