[ilds] Author v. Reader

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Sat May 3 09:22:36 PDT 2008

This debate has been going on for sometime.  Barthes and the Deconstructionists made a big deal out of the primacy of the reader over the author, to wit, Barthes's formulation that "the birth of the reader must be requited by the death of the Author" (in the "Death of the Author").  All a matter of taste, I suppose, but I'm more interested in authors than readers.  I know of great authors, but don't know of any great readers, and my notion of great critics isn't what Barthes probably had in mind.

Bruce