[ilds] Genesis of the Quartet

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Sat May 3 08:46:34 PDT 2008

Hello Peter,

As a moderator, I am powerless to contain your enthusiasms for
attachments, though I must formally note that copyright is a respectable
if quaint notion with many social privileges I lack, being merely a
person.  Ahem.  What do your Epfses look like?

That said, /The Writer's Brush/ is in my local library, and I recall the
images being quite nice.  Perhaps I'll jaunt up there this afternoon and
report further.

As for Justine (and Auden), I agree, although in Durrell's case, I don't
think the revisions diminish the artwork.  I like to have each
publication of a poem too, though this makes my shelves swell
increasingly...  I think I previously noted that James Brigham kept a
very good tally of the poetic variants in his drafts for Durrell's
/Collected Poems/, and a significant portion of his typescript includes
variant typed on Durrell's typewriter, though it's impossible to know
which of them whacked the keys.  Perhaps someone out there knows if LD
was chummy about allowing others to use his machine?

But for /Justine/, given the context of multiplicity and the persistence
of multiple editions, I tend to view this as just another indication of
the shifting ground upon which the work rests.  For instance, apart from
Beatrice Skordili's brilliant reading through Freud and Russell, I can
see little reason for the movement of the objects that precipitate drama
around themselves at the end of /Justine/ (should be the last page, 3rd
to last paragraph, I believe).  Their enthusiastic contribution to the
book is quite different in the omnibus, and I can't properly say why
unless I privilege the revision process as another opportunity for
Durrell to play his game of contradictory narratives and revolving
doors.  They change because change is the norm an permanence the
masquerade, and such an idea is better shown than said.

Despite his penchant for waxing philosophical, I think a major part of
Durrell's appeal is his ability to show rather than tell at the right
moment.  I read enough material that tells me -- when I turn to fiction,
I'd rather be shown...

My best,
James