[ilds] Genesis of the Quartet

PETER BALDWIN delospeter at hotmail.com
Sat May 3 04:15:05 PDT 2008

There may be no final state because for each of us our interpretaion relies on the state of mind as we read. Auden revised and we lose, I think, the edge of his 30's beliefs in the later revisions.

I have just finished Justine and query the ultimate structure of the Q against the n-dimensions we see defined by P in the Consequential Data in Justine and which must reflect the thinking behind this single novel.And I am wondering if much of it reflects D's grief at the loss of Nancy; are the feelings he reflects on the departure of Justine a mirror of his own feelings as Nancy left?

I have a couple of original Durrell - sorry, Epfs - paintings.

Does the moderator, James, authorise pictorial attachments to these emails?

In which case I can photograph a couple in their frames an attachment

Are readers aware of : The Writers Brush:Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture by Writers. Ed Donald Friedman. Minneapolis, Mid-list Press. ISBN - 978 - 0 -922811 - 76 - 2 . US $40. Contains two colour reproductions of Durrell paintings C'est LUI! (sic) and Music. I have seen neither before. They are attributed to the Artinian Collection.

A Google Search takes me to the Library collection at Austin, Artinian being a colector of 20th cent French writers - but the library catalogue reveals nothing of these paintings.

There is a review of the book, but no ref to LD, in the London Guardian Review sectionj for 29th Dec 2007.

Peter/Delos> Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 14:39:54 -0700> From: bredwine1968 at earthlink.net> To: ilds at lists.uvic.ca> Subject: Re: [ilds] Genesis of the Quartet> > Putting every stage or state of an author's work "on the table" is an interesting idea -- for critics -- but not one, I think, that most writers would want to allow. Perhaps Durrell believed this was desirable, but I question his seriousness. I like to think that works have a final form and that most authors prefer to see theirs finalized. Openendedness is a nice idea, but I don't give equal weight to all versions, mutatis mutandis, of course.> > > Bruce> > > -----Original Message-----> >From: James Gifford <odos.fanourios at gmail.com>> >Sent: May 2, 2008 11:29 AM> >To: ilds at lists.uvic.ca> >Subject: Re: [ilds] Genesis of the Quartet> >> >> Knowing that the author who wrote them was also > >> nosing his way forward and still discovering his crucial form adds to > >> the aesthetic of the novels. And calling them in a corporate fashion > >> /The Alexandria Quartet/ seems to bind the books down in a way that I > >> favor less and less.> >> >I agree very much here, Charles. Out of curiosity, what if we were to > >insist on having all the variants of Joyce's /Dubliners/ or /Ulysses/ on > >the table at the same time, or for that matter, even /finengans wake/. > >Just because the author eventually endorsed a single edition (kinda...) > >doesn't meant that we should send every other state to the trash bin of > >history -- I think that Durrell delights me, even if only in part, > >because it's so terribly difficult to hold to such fictions of unity > >with him.> >> >I'm reminded of LD's attempt to revise /Tunc/ and /Nunquam/, which > >didn't appear -- would that have made a distinct /Revolt/ (albeit under > >another title)? I'm still terribly caught by my first reading of the > >Quintet, in which I think the author's discovery of the book during the > >process of writing is hard to ignore. It's part of what makes the work > >interesting.> >> >Charles, I'm guessing here, but would you like to have each of the four > >volumes *and* /The Alexandria Quartet/ in addition? Hmmm.> >> >I was asked by a student earlier this term during a presentation for a > >course that was not my own (I spread out the 1922 'Ulysseses' and 'Waste > >Lands' among their compatriots in the library) why bibliographers want > >the first version of the work rather than the last -- I said that's an > >old lie. Bibliographers want /all/ versions at the same time. Durrell > >is one who makes me want the first vision, the final revision, the > >in-between, and yet at no point do I feel as though I'm entering into > >some Kundera-esque censorship of history, no matter how much he > >"elaborates"... Each change stays on the table as an option.> >> >Best,> >James> > _______________________________________________> ILDS mailing list> ILDS at lists.uvic.ca> https://lists.uvic.ca/mailman/listinfo/ilds

Discover and Win with Live Search

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000007ukm/direct/01/