[ilds] Genesis of the Quartet

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Fri May 2 14:39:54 PDT 2008

Putting every stage or state of an author's work "on the table" is an interesting idea -- for critics -- but not one, I think, that most writers would want to allow.  Perhaps Durrell believed this was desirable, but I question his seriousness.  I like to think that works have a final form and that most authors prefer to see theirs finalized.  Openendedness is a nice idea, but I don't give equal weight to all versions, mutatis mutandis, of course.

Bruce