[ilds] Genesis of the Quartet

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Fri May 2 13:28:37 PDT 2008

On 5/2/2008 2:29 PM, James Gifford wrote:
> Charles, I'm guessing here, but would you like to have each of the four
> volumes *and* /The Alexandria Quartet/ in addition?  Hmmm.
Yes, you got me, Jamie.  I like reading /Justine /&c. the separately
issued volumes because they physically recall the experience of reading
Durrell's notebooks--with all sorts of other documents and "data" packed
away inside them--or even because reading the separate volumes
highlights the way I have to shuttle back and forth between distinct
documents, moving along with Darley as he sits at his table sorting
things out.

But I also respect Durrell's decision later to collect the books into
one corporate or omnibus volume.  That shows that Durrell and/or Faber
was hoping the book would be seen as a hefty and elaborately contrived
modernist "project," post-Joyce &c.  That is not the Durrell I prefer,
but it is an important aspect of Durrell.

And Peter:  Don't worry about slowing down.  I hardly ever read /Justine
/straight through anymore.  I really enjoy dipping out the choice
morsels, savoring smaller bits and digesting them as needed.  What a book!

Charles

--
Wake Forest University
slighcl at wfu.edu