[ilds] Sweetness and darkness

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:23:21 PDT 2008

Bruce, I look forward to this chat!

This is a slippery slope, though I can certainly see the temptations of it:

1. Pursewarden and Piers have incestuous affairs with their sisters...

2. I read "Loeb's Horace" as a comment on Durrell's "strong" poets,
those who's influence he feels most profoundly, and perhaps Keats more
than any other.  I don't think the ego in those poems places the poet on
par with with Keats or Horace, but he certainly sees himself as capable
of 'playing ball' with them.  There are many singers far, far better
than I, but I'd still fell comfortable on the same stage as them...  I
just wouldn't steal the show!

3. Darkness is indeed a major trope, and I see it as there from the
beginning.  Take "The Egg" for example, or in the novels, even /Pied
Piper/ or /Panic Spring/, in which mortality and limitedness plays major
roles.  Both have beauty, yet et in Arcadia ego...

4. To run with the figure of the author slapping his face in the mirror
in the morning, what else does Pursewarden do with mirrors?

As an author, Durrell certainly had an egotistical and a journeyman side
to his literary character.  I just don't think either was particularly
unusual, even if they are overlooked in many readings.  I recall seeing
Derek Walcott on a few recent occasions...

But, I do see much, much more to be said for the creation of a public
face here and also playing with the literary media.  What else comes to
mind for you?  "Press Marked Urgent" and Sutcliffe in /Monsieur/ come to
mind.  After all, what's funnier than the "great man" arriving in Venice
in /Monsieur/ when the reader only sees a fat, ageing author of dubious
means and inflated self-worth?

What else comes to mind for you?  Personally, I prefer the sweet & sour
Durrell, so to speak...

Best,
James