[ilds] particularly that Black Book

James Gifford odos.fanourios at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:01:09 PDT 2008

Henry Treece
-- from /The Black Seasons/, 1945

"The Black Book"

for Conroy Maddox

Pacing the pages of the midnight book
I see the pale man fingering a skull,
And the old dog snuffling at his heels.

A bleeding hand probes underneath the vetch,
Violates the garb of gothic for a prize,
And comes to light clutching five black eggs.

A sneering eye is staring through the pane:
It is a future come to mock a past;
The Landseer turns towards the wall for shame.

Under the roof a cripple carves a bowl;
No cough can keep him from swarming roads,
Touching his cap for alms from riding lords.

Beneath the floor a lime-dried corpse sits up
And, listening to the after-dinner talk,
Fumbles the dagger in his linen cloak.

Hidden by trees, the boy engraves a stone
With threats as old as mountains in the West.
He sees the white head crumble from his wrath.

Where the grey monuments are set in rows
A faceless figure chuckles in no hand.
No cock shall crow before this deed is done!

Orgiastic emblems flute across the winds,
Seven seasons wind the tired globe along:
The page blows over -- and the poem ends.