[ilds] Sweetness and darkness

Bruce Redwine bredwine1968 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 11:56:18 PDT 2008

1.  Pursewarden commits suicide, so does Piers.  Durrell kills himself with alcohol.

2.  Why would Durrell/Pursewarden be interested in his posthumous press?  Isn't this the height of conceit?

3.  Durrell holds an interview and says he slaps himself in the mirror every morning and tells himself he's just a worthless shit making a living.  In the Quartet and "Loeb's Horace," he (i.e., Durrell/Pursewarden) displays an ego big enough to take on and beat the likes of Keats, Milton, Horace, and any other writer who might threaten his supremacy of "fine writing." (After all, this is the man dubbed by Miller the next Shakespeare.)  At times LD acts like Hemingway -- both make claims, direct or indirect, to boxing champion of the world of belles-lettres.

4.  Durrell is the poet of blue water and Greek light, but he also finds darkness in that "dark crystal" of Prospero's Cell.  Nancy Myers, wife #1, did not take kindly to her portrayal in PC.

So, which Durrell do you prefer?  He's not all sweetness and light.

Bruce