[ilds] manipulating her lack

slighcl slighcl at wfu.edu
Wed Apr 30 09:44:30 PDT 2008

By the way, could someone confirm that Broumas writes <<understood
Durrell /marking /insecurity a haunting quality>>?  Thanks!

I only have an electronic edition of the text, and I am wondering if it
should correctly be making] marking.

And I think that Broumas's observation about how "Justine had been
overly prized for her shrewdness---not by possessing it but by
manipulating her lack" is insightful.

But then, there I go, supposing that Broumas is thinking of the
character "Justine," not the novel /Justine/.

Many thanks--

C&c.

***

On 4/30/2008 12:28 PM, slighcl wrote:
> Olga Broumas
> Domesticity
> [excerpted from /Black Holes/, /Black Stockings/ (1985)]
>
> ***
>

> She was reading /Justine  /that spring, and slowly, as she began to
> stop fantasizing the manner in which her success would come to
> her, understood Durrell marking insecurity a haunting quality.
> Slowly because unpracticed; carefully, in that she saw how even a
> great artist who postulates a narrator different from himself
> reveals a political faux pas; she knew Justine had been overly
> prized for her shrewdness---not by possessing it but by manip-
> ulating her lack. She was becoming the woman she wanted to
> know. Was proud; did not cling to it. Braided in the Swedish
> style her hair revealed a specific great beauty; circled by thick
> coils, she became surprisingly boyish; was not, was languid and
> controlled; passionate slowly like her reading, thorough, light.
> Under the fig tree, which gave out onto a ridge of pine and
> olive, you photographed her self-consciousness and then, finally,
> directly, her gaze, large, Mediterranean dark, blue. Without
> birds, without their whistling over the music of the creek, though
> she laughed like a flute none would have caught it, clung to it,
> played it back much later in other southern but never so fair, fair
> even but never so perfumed, countries.
>
> ___
> --
> Charles L. Sligh